- Virtual Volunteering Home
- Developing and Implementing a Virtual Volunteering Program
- Identifying and Creating Assignments for Online Volunteers
- Online Volunteer Resources
- Volunteer Manager Resources
- Volunteers with Disabilities
Sample Assignment: Gathering Contact Information
Gather contact information for agencies assisting people with disabilities in key regional areas
Deadline to complete:
One month from date assignment made
Estimated time to complete:
up to 20 hours
Not applicable; this listing is for example purposes only
The Virtual Volunteering Project would like to apply the principles it promotes to recruit people with disabilities for virtual volunteering opportunities. We need contact information for organizationanizations and associations that relate to people with disabilities, so we can contact them with our internship openings.
Please turn in work as it is completed. Items are divided by bullets below. As you finish a bulleted item, please turn that part of the assignment in (just cut and paste into an e-mail).
For each site, gather:
- the name(s) of key contact person(s) (if it is posted somewhere on the site)
- the e-mail address for same (if it is posted somewhere on the site)
- the postal mailing address (if it is posted somewhere on the site)
- the phone number (if it is posted somewhere on the site)
- the organization's URL (if any)
Do not e-mail any web sites looking for more information; if you cannot find a phone number or other information, make a note of it.
Try Web search engines to find the following items:
- State schools for the Deaf or Blind, or the physically-disabled
- Professional Associations for Deaf or Blind People, or the physically-disabled
- Disability-specific support or advocacy groups (national or state only)
Try online phone books to find the following items:
Disabilitity offices and disabled student organizationanizations at these colleges and universities:
- University of Texas at Austin
- St. Edwards University (Austin, Texas)
- Stanford University (California)
- San Jose State University (California)
- University of Santa Clara (California)
- University of California at Berkeley
- University of California at Hayward
- University of California at Santa Cruz
Disabilitity offices and disabled student organizationanizations at colleges and universities in:
- Philiadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Washington, D.C.
Independent Living Centers in:
- Austin, Texas
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- San Jose, California
- San Francisco, California
- Washington, D.C.
Volunteer Skills and Equipment Needed
- A computer and regular access to the Internet
- Attention to detail, thoughtful and careful reading, commitment to deadlines.