Tax Credits for Volunteering Costs

Volunteers in the United States can receive tax deductions from the federal government on many costs associated with volunteering, such as mileage and other travel expenses, paper, copying, convention attendance fees, parking, uniforms (if the volunteer purchases his or her own), etc. These deductions apply ONLY if you are NOT getting reimbursed for these expenses by the organization you are assisting, and you are itemizing on your tax form (not if you use the 1040 EZ form).

Please note that the information given here is for general reference only. If you have questions about your situation, please consult a tax professional, or download IRS Publication 526: Charitable Contributions for complete information on this topic. This form provides the latest guidelines on what charitable contributions can and cannot be deducted from your taxes.

A summary is provided at 8 Tips for Deducting Charitable Contributions.